Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Women of the Wall

Last week I went on a טיול to the Kotel. It was ראש חודש and we went to daven שחרת with Women of the Wall. I understand that they want women's equality at the Kotel and I believe that if women want to or feel the need to wear כיפות, טליתות, ותפילין they should be able to. If it is at the Kotel it is still okay and I do not think people should be arrested or have dirty diapers thrown at them for doing that. Everyone has the right to do what they need to do in order to feel closer to 'ה. Although, I do not believe that the "women's side" on the Kotel should be any bigger and I also do not think that women and men should pray together there. I think the טיול was interesting to watch because the Women of the Wall conducted a full service very loudly and they even read תורה there. I did not like being there and being forced to stay in that group though. I am not comfortable with being in that service. I know what the Women of the Wall are doing is very important to people, but I just wish I was able to go off on my own and watch what was going on. I did not appreciate being called a prostitute or hearing that I was disgracing my family when I did not personally want to participate. Usually when I go to the Kotel I stand next to the מחיצה and listen to the men's services and follow along with them silently. It was sad that this past time I was not able to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment