Tuesday, April 8, 2014

The "Temple Synagogue"

While I was in Poland we went to a synagogue called the "Temple Synagogue". It was an old pre-Shoah synagogue that was part of Liberal Judaism. My class had a very interesting discussion about the name. In my class I do not like talking about my opinion that much because I have a more traditional view than everyone else. This time I thought it would be a good time to try and share the non-liberal side of the discussion.

We talked about if it is ok to call synagogues "temple". Almost everyone in my class calls their synagogue at home "temple". The people who started out talking in the discussion were confused why this was even brought up as a topic of conversation because it is just part of their normal day life. I decided to share my opinion. I believe that you should not call a synagogue "temple". The only Temple is בית המיקדש and there is not one standing right now. I think that calling an everyday synagogue takes away from בית המקדש and its importance. Also when there is a third temple people would not know how to discriminate from that and their own "temple".  My classmates made the point that it doesn't madder if you say "temple" because it is two different words in Hebrew, בית קנשת and בית מיקדש. The problem with that logic is they are not actually speaking Hebrew when they refer to it as "temple".

I personally do not like to say "temple" when I refer to synagogues/ shuls/ בתי קנשת, but I do not try to change how other people say things. I believe that when I stated my opinion I was reasonable and respectful. I know my teacher likes when I explain to the class my more traditional opinions. After I was done talking, I heard one of the girls who was sitting behind me say how rude I was. It makes it hard to share my opinion when my peers do not like what I have to say and think of it as rude, even though I try to say things as polite as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment