Wednesday, April 23, 2014

בשנה הבאה בירושלים בנויה

This year for פסח I was finally in Israel (Big surprise, since I've been blogging from here for 3 months now ). Anyway, I went to my friend's house. She is a Reform Jew living in Israel, but because of her I actually more Reform traditions. We had a סדר that was gorgeous and amazing and had great food. She and I helped prepare for the סדר so we got the job of making all the salads and vegetables. The food was amazing if I do say so myself. I also learned a lot from it, including some traditions like having an orange in the middle of the סדר plate in order to show women's rights. What I think I liked most about פסח though is that I was able to see Jerusalem from a local perspective. My friend took me all over Jerusalem and I got to see what the city is like to like there and not just the touristy side, like בן יהודה street.

I personally think that when I make Aliyah, I will not live in Jerusalem but I am happy that I got to see it like my friends who live here see it. I am also so grateful that I got to observe the חג in a new way. I still find it so fascinating and interesting that EVERYONE around you here is Jewish. I absolutely love it. I thought it was really cool how just walking around I saw a bunch of mini bon fires, but because I am in Israel I knew they were all just people burning חמץ. I love seeing everyone around me being religious in their own way and I completely respect that. All in all I am so glad I got to observe one of the funnest holidays from a local perspective.

!בשנה הבאה בירושלים בנויה

1 comment:

  1. Reading this makes me so happy! I am so happy for you that you got such an enriching experience! One of the main things I remember from my seder was how fast the read through the service. I could barely keep along! It took about 30 minutes which is funny because in America it usually takes me about an hour and a half. I can only imagine you sitting at that table and being able to follow along with no problems. YGG gurl.

    ReplyDelete